May 25, 2010
Equipping Our Children
Psalm 119:11 - "I have hidden your word in my heart so I may not sin against you"
This year we have had the privilege of sending our son to a Christian Preschool. One of the things that they do each day is teach and review Bible Scriptures. I think they introduce one new one each week, while going over the ones that they have already learned. Since these are pre-readers that we’re talking about here, they have a relevant picture for each verse to help the kids out.
Do you teach scriptures to your children? I’d love to hear your thoughts on this, or any methods that you have chosen to help them memorize scriptures.
This year we have had the privilege of sending our son to a Christian Preschool. One of the things that they do each day is teach and review Bible Scriptures. I think they introduce one new one each week, while going over the ones that they have already learned. Since these are pre-readers that we’re talking about here, they have a relevant picture for each verse to help the kids out.
I, personally, have never been great at memorizing verses, though I do have a few key ones that I remember and refer to often. At bedtime we do Devotionals with my 4-year-old, and of course we talk about God and pray throughout the day. But one thing that we weren’t doing, and honestly I hadn’t even considered doing at this age, is teaching him to recite Bible verses.
I’m realizing now that I am not properly dressing my kids each day in the way of Ephesians 6 if I am not giving them God’s words to hide in their own hearts. Yes, we talk about sharing, obeying and being kind, but I notice that it seems to sink in better when I can relate it back to the verses that he has learned.
Tomorrow is the last day of school for him, but I am going to work on reviewing these Bible verses with him regularly. What better truths for him to carry around with him than “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1) or “He is not here, He has risen!”(Luke 24:6), or “Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.” (Colossians 3:20)?
Also, if you have any topics that you would like to see covered on Practical Parenting, please feel free to email your suggestions to me at sdakin105(@)gmail(.)com (without the parentheses) or you can message me on Twitter (see below).
Your sister in Christ,
My personal blog: The Helping Mommy
Find me on Twitter: @SDakin105
Find me on Twitter: @SDakin105
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search Seeds of Faith
Seeds Team Members
- STEPHANIE - MomKaboodle
- PENNY - Living Above Ministries
- AMY - Wife Hat, Mom Hat
- CHERIE - Heart & Soul Reflections
- CHERYL - See Foxes?
- CLAUDIA - For the Love of 4
- ELISABETH - Lean Green Mommy Machine
- HALLEE - Hallee the Homemaker
- JENILEE - The Goodwin Family
- JOY - My Home in the Smokies
- KRISTIN - The Schell Cafe
- SARA - Confessions of the Pastor's Wife
- SARAH - Water, Water, Everywhere
- TARA - Live Your Legacy Today
- TRACEY - Little Bitty Design Studio
Faithful Followers
Site Categories
2010
Advertise
Alicia
Amy
Cheryl
Claudia
Contact Us
Daily Life
Devotionals
Devotions
Elisabeth
Faith
Faith Filled Friday
Featured Friend
Guest Post
Hallee
Image Bearing Marriage
Joy
M.A.D. Mommies
Maggie
Meghan
Missions
Mommy Mission
Moms Like Me
Motherhood
My Father's Canvas
Our Team
Penny
Photography
Ponder This
Practical Parenting
Promises
Sami
Seeds Digest
Seeds News
Stephanie
Sue
Sunshine Sunday
Tara
Word of God
Worship
Writing Worth Reading
giveaways
iFellowship
thankful
1 comments:
My 9 year old daughter is on the bible quiz team at our church and therefore has to learn verses to compete. Ar first, I thought she was just learning the verses because she had to and wasn't sure if the meaning was sinking in, but lately she has been reciting them to me at just the right moments. She gets it - using the Word as a sword. My 5 year old listens to songs with scripture in them. Again, I didn't really think the meaning was sinking in. The other day, my daughter said "That's impossible!" My 5 year old yells out "Nothing is impossible with God!" Smiling mom moment!!
Post a Comment