July 30, 2010
M.A.D. Mommies
Hello Ladies! As a new contributor here on this wonderful site, I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself and my topic. I am so honored to be a part of this team and am eager to get to know each of you!
My name is Amy and I'm a 20-something stay-at-home-mom to my toddler son and my teenage foreign exchange student (who I am picking up from the airport tomorrow!). My husband is currently at basic training and will be coming home at the end of March. I am graduate student seeking my degree in Counseling Psychology and I am a glass-half-full type of person.
I was raised in a Christian home and have been submerged in a mission lifestyle ever since.... well forever. Not just my parents, but aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins... you get the point. I have been so fortunate to have participated in mission trips as far as China and Mexico, but have also contributed to local mission efforts. I spent each summer of my high school and college career involved in either a mission trip or serving as a full-time summer missionary.
I married my college sweetheart soon after I graduated and began the full-time working experience and eventually starting our family. While I absolutely love my life and wouldn't change it whatsoever, it's been a big adjustment to not being as involved in the going and doing of missions in the formal sense. I have remained home while a dear friend journeyed off to Southeast Asia for a two-year missionary term. I sat in my living room watching one devastating news story after another while others who were hopping on planes to go lend a helping hand after the horrific hurricane destroyed parts of Haiti. I have let my passport expire while watching so many people around me get stamps from all over in the name of missions. And it's been hard.
But missions isn't only about going to far off places to spread the good news of Jesus, as we are told in Act 1:8. We need to be able to share the love of Jesus in our everyday lives exactly where we are and we need to be making a difference in the lives of the people around us. We need to actively seek ways that we can be a blessing and encouragement to others. This is where Make a Difference (MAD) Mommies comes in!
I'm gonna make today's MAD Mommies task super simple since I've already written so much. Take the time to write one letter today to anyone you can think of-- someone who is always an encouragement to you, a missionary, a soldier, a family going through a rough patch, or even just to say 'Thanks for being a good friend.' It doesn't have to be on pretty paper and the cost of a stamp is less than 50 cents. I love, love, love getting mail and I know others enjoy a nice note that seems to come out of the blue! So take a quick five minutes, write a note or two, and get that letter out in the mail today! You can totally make someone's day.
And just for fun, let's take a look at poor example of trying to make a difference:
Scratching Bible verses and "God Bless All" sentiments on bathroom stalls in the movie theater may have been results of good intentions, but I'm not so sure they're all that effective, ya know? But, I could be wrong... maybe some soul really did come to know Jesus while doing her business. Let's just stick to the note cards for now, ladies!
Have a great day, Sisters!
My personal blog: Wife hat, Mom hat
Find me on twitter: @amy_421
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search Seeds of Faith
Seeds Team Members
- STEPHANIE - MomKaboodle
- PENNY - Living Above Ministries
- AMY - Wife Hat, Mom Hat
- CHERIE - Heart & Soul Reflections
- CHERYL - See Foxes?
- CLAUDIA - For the Love of 4
- ELISABETH - Lean Green Mommy Machine
- HALLEE - Hallee the Homemaker
- JENILEE - The Goodwin Family
- JOY - My Home in the Smokies
- KRISTIN - The Schell Cafe
- SARA - Confessions of the Pastor's Wife
- SARAH - Water, Water, Everywhere
- TARA - Live Your Legacy Today
- TRACEY - Little Bitty Design Studio
Faithful Followers
Site Categories
2010
Advertise
Alicia
Amy
Cheryl
Claudia
Contact Us
Daily Life
Devotionals
Devotions
Elisabeth
Faith
Faith Filled Friday
Featured Friend
Guest Post
Hallee
Image Bearing Marriage
Joy
M.A.D. Mommies
Maggie
Meghan
Missions
Mommy Mission
Moms Like Me
Motherhood
My Father's Canvas
Our Team
Penny
Photography
Ponder This
Practical Parenting
Promises
Sami
Seeds Digest
Seeds News
Stephanie
Sue
Sunshine Sunday
Tara
Word of God
Worship
Writing Worth Reading
giveaways
iFellowship
thankful


7 comments:
Amy, I am loving this idea! Yes, some of us have not been called to be missionaries overseas. However, we can do this in our own backyard! Awesome post!!
Definitely need to do more of this. I was really good at doing this in the past, but I've kinda slipped. :(
Welcome to the Seeds team, Amy - so glad to have you!
Your Missionary heart is inspiring - thanks for sharing ways that we can make a "small" difference.
I like the idea of writing letters. I've also read somewhere that instead of throwing out the TONS of pictures that your kids make (since we just can't keep every single one), to drop them off to a convalescent home to give to the residents. Love it!
Looking forward to reading more from you!
Amy! I'm new to Seeds as well and I love reading your blog! Your hears for missions is very inspiring. Regarding Acts 1:8 - Mm pastor husband often challenges our people to minister to their Jerusalem - start in your own home, street, neighborhood, and the likes.
Yes, ma'am - I've got my marching orders and I will write a letter today! Great Great idea!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
i think i may have deleted my last comment sorry ... but i was saying that this was a great post and thank you foor it .. i found myself reading it twice
Thanks for your post. We should all work to spread God's love and his truth. I'm going to take the challenge and right a note to one of my good friends. She's always an inspiration and even lets me vent when necessary. Thanks for the challenge. :o)
Post a Comment