September 13, 2010
Guest Post: Want, Want, Want
During TV time at my house on any given day my children can be heard yelling, “mom, I want”. Whether it is a snack, or the hottest new toy on TV they are constantly “wanting” something. This may just sound like normal childlike behavior , but the truth is we as adults tend to “want, want, want” as well.
How many of us want our lives away. From wanting a new house, to wanting a new car, or maybe your “wants” aren't even that big. If you're like me I could pick up the mail order magazines that come in my mailbox weekly and find a dozen or more things that I could “want”.
What we must remember is there is a difference between wants and needs. If it is truly a need, that is one thing, but our wants are more closely associated with our human nature, our sin nature. Our needs on the other hand we should not worry about, however because our Lord will be sure that our needs are met.
Do not misunderstand me I believe we must do our part. We must be willing to work and do for ourselves. More than anything however, we must learn to be content with what we have. We live in a land of plenty and very few of us live in “want”. We truly have more than we need.
Upon studying Philippians over the weekend I learned a great deal from the Apostle Paul who tells us how he learned to be content with what he had.
Philippians 4: 11-13 reveals this to us, “ I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”
We must learn to rely on our Lord rather than the many things that are found in this world. After all, those things will pass away but our Lord will never leave us or forsake us.

Alyssa Avant
website: www.AlyssaAvant.com
Twitter: @alyssaavant
How many of us want our lives away. From wanting a new house, to wanting a new car, or maybe your “wants” aren't even that big. If you're like me I could pick up the mail order magazines that come in my mailbox weekly and find a dozen or more things that I could “want”.
What we must remember is there is a difference between wants and needs. If it is truly a need, that is one thing, but our wants are more closely associated with our human nature, our sin nature. Our needs on the other hand we should not worry about, however because our Lord will be sure that our needs are met.
Do not misunderstand me I believe we must do our part. We must be willing to work and do for ourselves. More than anything however, we must learn to be content with what we have. We live in a land of plenty and very few of us live in “want”. We truly have more than we need.
Upon studying Philippians over the weekend I learned a great deal from the Apostle Paul who tells us how he learned to be content with what he had.
Philippians 4: 11-13 reveals this to us, “ I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”
We must learn to rely on our Lord rather than the many things that are found in this world. After all, those things will pass away but our Lord will never leave us or forsake us.
Alyssa Avant
website: www.AlyssaAvant.com
Twitter: @alyssaavant
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search Seeds of Faith
Seeds Team Members
- STEPHANIE - MomKaboodle
- PENNY - Living Above Ministries
- AMY - Wife Hat, Mom Hat
- CHERIE - Heart & Soul Reflections
- CHERYL - See Foxes?
- CLAUDIA - For the Love of 4
- ELISABETH - Lean Green Mommy Machine
- HALLEE - Hallee the Homemaker
- JENILEE - The Goodwin Family
- JOY - My Home in the Smokies
- KRISTIN - The Schell Cafe
- SARA - Confessions of the Pastor's Wife
- SARAH - Water, Water, Everywhere
- TARA - Live Your Legacy Today
- TRACEY - Little Bitty Design Studio
Faithful Followers
Site Categories
2010
Advertise
Alicia
Amy
Cheryl
Claudia
Contact Us
Daily Life
Devotionals
Devotions
Elisabeth
Faith
Faith Filled Friday
Featured Friend
Guest Post
Hallee
Image Bearing Marriage
Joy
M.A.D. Mommies
Maggie
Meghan
Missions
Mommy Mission
Moms Like Me
Motherhood
My Father's Canvas
Our Team
Penny
Photography
Ponder This
Practical Parenting
Promises
Sami
Seeds Digest
Seeds News
Stephanie
Sue
Sunshine Sunday
Tara
Word of God
Worship
Writing Worth Reading
giveaways
iFellowship
thankful
7 comments:
What a great reminder: "But my God shall supply all your NEEDS..."
Thanks for sharing, Alyssa!
I love this post. It something I continue to talk about amongst my friends and family: the difference between wants and needs.
Great post! Especially after hearing last night's message. We are a spoiled generation with no thankfulness for what God gives us. Definitely want to shine for God and not be caught up in worldly things!
So true!!! Love this post. We really do live in an "I want" world.
Love and Blessings
Alyssa! What a great post! It's so nice to meet you here! Just this morning I was thinking about the life of Paul. I too, found myself wanting - not a thing - but a state in life, I was asking God for life to be just a little easier - and He reminded me that Paul's life was never easy - yet he was able to be content.
Basically I said, "Yes, Sir" - to the Lord and moved away from the pity party to the assignment He has given me!
Thanks for this great reminder today!
i think i have the case of the wants way to much and i think i could learn a lot from you post. wanting is something that has gone on to long for myself. i think knowing my needs then learning my wants and whats truly attainable is important, thank you for this post.
what a great post! hubs and i have had this conversation - and keep reminding each other what is a want and what is a need. *surprisingly* we have many more wants than needs!
Post a Comment