September 3, 2010
On Learning to Be Still
A friend recently voiced his discontent with having to sit still and let his body heal after a bad motorcycle accident. And I was reminded of a season God took me through to teach me how to be still.
The first four months of my pregnancy with my fourth daughter were brutal. I had been sick in the beginning of my other pregnancies, but nothing like this. I think the worst part of it was that God was trying to teach me something and I was fighting it tooth and nail. When I learned I was pregnant I made a deal with God that went something like this...."OK God. Since you are giving me this baby and you are aware of all that is on my plate right now, then surely you will make this as easy as possible on me! (Yes! I really did have the audacity!) I did not want to rest! I did not want to lay in bed all day! I did not want to have people waiting on me! I had things to do!! But He had other plans for my time.
I can tell you quite honestly that the moment of surrender --His Will for mine-- was one of the most precious in my walk with the Lord. He began to gently walk me through my day. He showed me how to enjoy my daughters in a whole new way. He taught me how to appreciate my husband in a much deeper way. He taught me how to be gracious in receiving help. He taught me how to count my blessing and be purposeful about finding joy in my life. Most importantly He taught me how to be still.
He continued walking with me....teaching me. And then when my daughter was born it became even more clear why He had laid the path He had throughout my pregnancy. My baby (now almost a year old!) had extreme colic. She cried and cried and we walked in circles around the house......for hours (and hours) on end. I remember the day, when she let me sit down and rock her instead of walking. My backside was completely numb, but I was so happy! It was not uncommon for me to rock her or wear her in a sling 10-12 hours out of the day. I was so thankful God had prepared me ahead of time. Don't get me wrong there were days I was tired. But I was so content just to rock her, because that's what she needed.
My children need me to be still to connect with them. My husband needs me to be rested to enjoy time with him. My God needs me to be quiet to hear Him.
"In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength." ~Isaiah 30:15
So, how about it? Do you think you can be still today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search Seeds of Faith
Seeds Team Members
- STEPHANIE - MomKaboodle
- PENNY - Living Above Ministries
- AMY - Wife Hat, Mom Hat
- CHERIE - Heart & Soul Reflections
- CHERYL - See Foxes?
- CLAUDIA - For the Love of 4
- ELISABETH - Lean Green Mommy Machine
- HALLEE - Hallee the Homemaker
- JENILEE - The Goodwin Family
- JOY - My Home in the Smokies
- KRISTIN - The Schell Cafe
- SARA - Confessions of the Pastor's Wife
- SARAH - Water, Water, Everywhere
- TARA - Live Your Legacy Today
- TRACEY - Little Bitty Design Studio
Faithful Followers
Site Categories
2010
Advertise
Alicia
Amy
Cheryl
Claudia
Contact Us
Daily Life
Devotionals
Devotions
Elisabeth
Faith
Faith Filled Friday
Featured Friend
Guest Post
Hallee
Image Bearing Marriage
Joy
M.A.D. Mommies
Maggie
Meghan
Missions
Mommy Mission
Moms Like Me
Motherhood
My Father's Canvas
Our Team
Penny
Photography
Ponder This
Practical Parenting
Promises
Sami
Seeds Digest
Seeds News
Stephanie
Sue
Sunshine Sunday
Tara
Word of God
Worship
Writing Worth Reading
giveaways
iFellowship
thankful
.png)

5 comments:
I LOVE that verse!!! I'm going to go get my Bible and highlight that one! Rest is something I too struggle to find. Thanks for sharing your story!
What an amazing Mommy you are!
Have a restful weekend!
My 2nd son had severe colic also and later we learned sensory problems. The first 2 years were full of no sleep or naps, everything that 'went wrong'. But the Lord also-like He did with you-was there with me & when I surrendered to His will, it was all the more peaceful. Thank you for this piece this morning-it has made my day. God bless you & keep you today.
What an awesome (and favorite verse) It's hard for all of us to slow down and just "be still" Thank you for sharing your story and this great reminder.
(hug) friend.
So true, great examples of bringing a verse to real life. I struggle with stopping and 'being still' and focusing on something other than what I feel like I want to do right now. Thank you for sharing.
What a great post! So true that it is hard to be still! God made me be still a couple of years ago when I was in 2 car wrecks almost back to back that laid me on my back with no where to look but up!
Post a Comment