September 28, 2010

Praying For The Children

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." -- Proverbs 22:6

Children Praying in Classroom

The Lord has placed it on my heart to minister to the children of our church and our community. This Sunday School year I have the privilege of teaching the first-, second- and third-graders at my church. We have only had two weeks of Sunday School so far, but it has been a fun, yet eye-opening experience.

What has struck me the most thus far is that I take for granted the things that my 5-year-old knows about the Bible, and I expect that kids that are older than he is would know those same things.

I was surprised by some of the things that they weren't familiar with. (We've only talked about Creation and the Garden of Eden so far....). It is very clear to me that my job is to:


  • make sure they know that God loves them no matter what

  • teach them that they can talk to God at any time and about anything

  • teach them that the Bible is God's Word and is to be respected

  • make sure they know that Jesus lived and died for them

  • pray for them by name, and also for their families

I could go on and on of course.

Probably one of the biggest things that my eyes have been opened to is that there are many, many children out there that don't have the Biblical teachings available to them. Others may have a distorted view of the Bible and of God. I remember at their age feeling that God was SO BIG - too big to want to be my friend.

I also remember believing that God was like a stern taskmaster - quick to punish.

I now know, of course, that these things are not true. God really is my friend, and I can rely on Him at all times. He isn't going to strike me down for not reading the Bible every single night, or for thinking un-Christian thoughts.

God wants us to WANT to do what is right. To be kind to one another and to love one another, not only because it is the right thing, but also because we want to please Him.

Today I would like to say a prayer for all of the kids that don't have the opportunities to learn about God, and also for the ones that do. Will you join me?

Dear Heavenly Father,
Help us to reach the little children both near and far. Help us to teach our own children so that they can continue to spread the word of your love and your greatness.
Protect the children of this world and bring them into a closer relationship with you. Help them to invite You into their hearts and to know and love you, Lord. Let the children come to you, don't let anyone stop them (Mark 10:14).
In Jesus' name we pray,
Amen

Let's reach the heart of the Children now while they are young and more accepting. Imagine how many these kids can lead to Christ because of our prayers for them.....!

Your sister in Christ,






My websites: MomKaboodle.com and TheHelpingMommy.com
Find me on Twitter: @MomKaboodle @SDakin105

Photo Credit: Children Praying in Classroom Photographic Print


4 comments:

SweetsLady said...

Great post! Our church busses in kids from bad parts of our town to help minister to them. My daughter works with the bus kids on the bus by getting to know them and then telling them about God. I am a helper with the 2-5 year olds. It is amazing to see when one of them comes to Christ. :)

Joy Ellis said...

Awesome post. It is easy to forget that some don't have the opportunities like others. It is great teaching those who don't know much about God and seeing their face light up in amazement at how wonderful our God really is! :)

Penny Franklin said...

Great post Stephanie! I lead a Ladies Bible study on Wednesday mornings and evenings (trying to catch ladies who work and stay at home). Recently I had a young lady announce that she had a praise report... that she now owns a Bible of her own!

I thought about this as I read your post. I often forget that there are children who do not grow up having a Bible of their very own. I will join you in prayer for the children - that they may truly know the love of Christ and know Him as their Redeemer!

Thanks for inspiring us all to pray for the children!

Wanda said...

As Sunday School teachers we have an awesome opportunity to share the Good News with children. It's true we take so many things we know for granted.

Search Seeds of Faith

Our Featured Friend

Praying For Penny

Photobucket

Faithful Followers

Seeds Banners

Photobucket
iFellowship

iFellowship is a way for Women to link up their sites and connect with other Christians each week. If you're looking for some fun fellowship time, grab the iFellowship button above and join us back here every Wednesday morning!!!

"Like" Seeds of Faith

Facebook - Twitter - RSS - Email Us

facebook Twitter RSS email

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please Visit Our Wonderful Sponsors:

Spend Less and Save More
Photobucket Photobucket The Tuckers Take Tennessee
Photobucket

Seeds Site Administrators

Living Above Ministries MomKaboodle

Seeds of Faith Founded By:

the tuckers take tennessee The Homeschool Chick

Site design by Tracey

Photobucket

Prayer Requests


Bible Verse of the Day

Seeds Calendar