November 22, 2010
I am Thankful
This week, most of us in the United States are readying for several things; a day of eating, a day of shopping, and for most of us, a day off from our jobs. But Thanksgiving started out as more than that. In 1619, the first people in the Plymouth colony wanted to give thanks to God for letting them survive the brutal winter. The feast lasted three days with 53 pilgrims and 90 Native Americans. They all shared what they had and gave God the glory for all of it. In 1863, Thanksgiving was offically observed as a religious holiday giving God thanks.
But now, it has become a day of families getting together, gorging ourselves and readying for the Black Friday sales. I even heard that some stores will be open on Thanksgiving Day! I think that is dreadful. My family does get together and eat. But it is just so nice to get together. We talk, catch up, and usually there are a few people that come over that don't have a place to go. We have some widows at church that call us their "other family" and we love that. I am thankful for all that God has done for me and my family. This was a rough year for my family. My daughter had her gall bladder out in March (she was only 15), my son broke his nose and had to have surgery, twice. But it has made us closer and a much more loving (I hope) family. I am grateful that my parents are still around and that we can share a lot of things. We don't have a lot of money right now, but we are getting by.
The Easter Brothers (a singing group) wrote a song called Thank You Lord, For Your Blessings On Me. Here are the words.
As the world looks upon me, as I struggle along
They say I have nothing, but they are so wrong
In my heart I’m rejoicing, how I wish they could see
Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me
Chorus
There’s a roof up above me
I’ve a good place to sleep
There’s food on my table
And shoes on my feet
You gave me your love Lord
And a fine family
Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me
Now I know I’m not wealthy, and these clothes , they’re not new
I don’t have much money, but Lord I have you
And to me that’s all that matters, though the world cannot see
Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me
There’s a roof up above me
I’ve a good place to sleep
There’s food on my table
And shoes on my feet
You gave me your love Lord
And a fine family
Thank you Lord, for your blessings on me
Happy Thanksgiving!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search Seeds of Faith
Seeds Team Members
- STEPHANIE - MomKaboodle
- PENNY - Living Above Ministries
- AMY - Wife Hat, Mom Hat
- CHERIE - Heart & Soul Reflections
- CHERYL - See Foxes?
- CLAUDIA - For the Love of 4
- ELISABETH - Lean Green Mommy Machine
- HALLEE - Hallee the Homemaker
- JENILEE - The Goodwin Family
- JOY - My Home in the Smokies
- KRISTIN - The Schell Cafe
- SARA - Confessions of the Pastor's Wife
- SARAH - Water, Water, Everywhere
- TARA - Live Your Legacy Today
- TRACEY - Little Bitty Design Studio
Faithful Followers
Site Categories
2010
Advertise
Alicia
Amy
Cheryl
Claudia
Contact Us
Daily Life
Devotionals
Devotions
Elisabeth
Faith
Faith Filled Friday
Featured Friend
Guest Post
Hallee
Image Bearing Marriage
Joy
M.A.D. Mommies
Maggie
Meghan
Missions
Mommy Mission
Moms Like Me
Motherhood
My Father's Canvas
Our Team
Penny
Photography
Ponder This
Practical Parenting
Promises
Sami
Seeds Digest
Seeds News
Stephanie
Sue
Sunshine Sunday
Tara
Word of God
Worship
Writing Worth Reading
giveaways
iFellowship
thankful

2 comments:
My husband and I are doing our best to try and teach our kids the real meaning of Thanksgiving. A time to get together with one another and give thanks to God for all He has given us this year. We definitely have so much to be thankful for. Thank you Cheryl for writing this wonderful post. Praying you have many blessings this week.
Cheryl this is great!!! Just this morning during my prayer time I read a verse that talked about rejoicing for my salvation. I had to confess to the Lord that way too often I take my faith in Christ and His grace & His mercy for granted. I ask and ask and pray and pray for stuff - and this Thanksgiving week I am going to be more thankful for His love and salvation to me and my loved ones!
Great message this week Cheryl!
I pray you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving season!
Post a Comment