November 16, 2010

I want to learn!!!

This past weekend I spoke at a retreat called, "Weekend 31."  It was all based on Proverbs 31.

One of the verses that I covered was, Proverbs 31:19
"She stretches out her hands to the distaff, and her hands grasp the spindle."

I've done enough research to know that the distaff and the spindle is close to sewing.  My mind quickly travels back in time to about 1988 - when my Mom tried to convince me that I needed to learn how to sew. That I would be "miles down the road" if I only knew how to sew.  That I needed to know how to hem my future husband's pants.  That I, at the very least, needed to know how to replace a missing button.

But.... unfortunately, I wanted NOTHING to do with this skill.  At 17 years old, I could really care less about my future sewing skills!!  And as a result I disregarded her teaching.

Fast forward to 2005 - when I really started studying Proverbs 31.  Imagine my utter horror when I saw that apparently a Proverbs 31 woman knows how to sew!!!   I was horrified!!!  I thought, "Oh, how I messed up so many years ago!  If only I had learned how to sew when I Mom tried to teach me, then I would be closer to being this iconic woman in scripture!"

I must confess, as a 40 year old woman, I now am at a place in my life, where I want to learn how to sew!  And to be completely honest with you - it has NOTHING to do with wanting to be a Proverbs 31 woman. It's all about hemming my husbands pants, replacing missing buttons, replacing ratted and torn car seat covers, and being impressively crafty at the holidays!

So, in lieu of all of the above, this past week, as we dropped off our kids with my parents for the weekend, I asked my Mom if she had a spare sewing machine.  I am honored to say that I am now in possession of my late paternal grandmother's machine.  My Mom attempted to teach me how to thread this apparently very difficult apparatus!  I watched with careful eyes.  I stored away the knowledge - hoping against hope that I would be able to reproduce her skills once I got home.

I learned that sewing... the spindle & the distaff... takes tenacity, determination, concentration & very much - skill!!!

Wow!  Now these are some Proverbs 31 characteristics that I can not only get behind - but truly strive to have in my life!!!

Tenacity - Skill - Determination - Concentration

I want to always be learning new things - no matter how old I get!

I want to always be learning how to do what I already do - better!!

Today, I want to encourage you all to read!  Expand your vocabulary!  I'm so encouraged by my own Mother.  She is always reading the most interesting books!

If I were to ask you today, "What was the latest book you read?" - what would you say?

Today, I want to encourage you all to learn new things and to work with tenacity, skill, determination and concentration!  No matter how young, old, married, or single, kids, or no kids, we should all, constantly be in the process of learning new things!!!

What is the most recent thing you are learning?!




I would love to get to know you better! You can find me almost every day sharing what God is teaching me personally over at my blog, Living Above Ministries. I also am totally addicted to Facebook & Twitter! So grab a cup of coffee and let's chat!!

8 comments:

Joy Ellis said...

Another thing we have in common! LOL I can't sew either!!! I am learning to wait on God's timing! Actually, I am learning so much, that my list could go on and on. I am so glad and thankful that God is allowing me a chance to learn things I didn't think I wanted to learn. Thank you for sharing this!

Penny Franklin said...

yeah! Now I don't feel like such a loser! I really do want to learn how though - so I'm going to start with some very easy things. I don't even know what would be an easy project!

Waiting on God's timing, I think, is an ongoing lesson for me as well.

Have a great day my friend!

Alise Wright said...

Ha! I would LOVE to learn to sew, but at this point, I'm pretty sure it's going to be after the kids are grown. I'm not terribly organized, and tend to "spread" my crafts everywhere, so with our small home, this is something that is going to have to wait. I'm going to call the knitting/crocheting that I do "weaving" and hope that counts. ;-D

Larri at Seams Inspired said...

Hey friend! Let me encourage you...If you can read, you can sew. What a beauty of a machine you have! Those vintage models just purr. :o) I agree we should all be trying new things. For me, this works well with my short-attention span. I'm not afraid to try a new craft or acquire a new skill. While it's not necessarily going to turn out well, it's the process of learning that I enjoy the most. You will have some Craft/Sew Fails, but look at what you learned while stitching! :o) Thanks for the great post! If you want some easy sewing patterns, let me know. I have tons of new ones I just pulled while cleaning out my stash. I'd love to send them to you to help you get started. Happy Tuesday! :o)

seedsofencouragement said...

I relate so much, Penny. I have my grandmother's machine. Several years ago I used it to sew some home decor things like pillows and curtains. I have never sewn clothing and I am tackling this new learning experience this year to make Christmas gifts. LOL The challenge is that I have to remember how to thread it...that's the hardest part in my opinion...of using a sewing machine. I am making PJ pants for our kids, my hubby and niece and nephews...I am making pretty (and simple) Christmas aprons for my moms and SILs and cute little baker assistant ones for my little boys...and then there's the pillow-like what I call Pocket Pals that I have designed for our boys as well. I am going to start a series on Mondays the last weekend of this month in which I will be sharing my exploits in learning how to do these projects. I will be talking about something I call "prayer sewing". I look forward to hearing your progress, friend!

Blessings!

Mary Joy

Penny Franklin said...

Wow! I can't wait to tune into this series!!! You sound so smart in this new area of your life!!! Do you really think I can get there myself?

I so know what you're talking about with the "threading" part!!! I watched my Mom do it about 4-5 times. There was such a spiritual lesson in staying focused, not giving up, and such. I think if I have to re-thread it - I'm going to have to get out the instruction book... again!!! I might just have to call you on for help! Along with Larri - (comment above) she's a pro at sewing!!!

Pam Petrie said...

I have always wanted to learn to sew and had said it several times. Right before we moved the moms from my homeschool group took up a collection as going away gift. it was money for me to buy a sewing machine and extras. someone else took me shopping and then gave me sewing lessons. I can still not follow a pattern but love to make skirts for my girls

Penny Franklin said...

Wow! What a treat! Especially with the lessons!!!

I'm honored to have my grandmother's machine and only hope that I can make her & my Mom proud over the years to come.

Search Seeds of Faith

Our Featured Friend

Praying For Penny

Photobucket

Faithful Followers

Seeds Banners

Photobucket
iFellowship

iFellowship is a way for Women to link up their sites and connect with other Christians each week. If you're looking for some fun fellowship time, grab the iFellowship button above and join us back here every Wednesday morning!!!

"Like" Seeds of Faith

Facebook - Twitter - RSS - Email Us

facebook Twitter RSS email

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please Visit Our Wonderful Sponsors:

Spend Less and Save More
Photobucket Photobucket The Tuckers Take Tennessee
Photobucket

Seeds Site Administrators

Living Above Ministries MomKaboodle

Seeds of Faith Founded By:

the tuckers take tennessee The Homeschool Chick

Site design by Tracey

Photobucket

Prayer Requests


Bible Verse of the Day

Seeds Calendar