December 28, 2010

Are we there yet?

As I type this, I'm not at home.  We're visiting family in Texas.  We left New Orleans the day after Christmas and I think we had been on the road about 20 minutes... not even completely out of town yet, and our children were asking, "how much longer?"

After each bridge we crossed, they would ask that infamous question, "are we there yet?"

Which was then quickly followed up with, "how many more minutes until we're there?"

Personally I was enjoying the drive.  We had wonderful weather and John & I were able to finally have real face-to-face talk time.  So in the midst of these questions, I wanted to scream, "just sit back & enjoy the ride!"

Honestly I kept hoping they would fall asleep... so peace would fall over the entire minivan.  Why couldn't they just relax?  Why couldn't they enjoy the books, crayons, and movies we brought with us for this 6 hour drive?

What else?
The anticipation of what would be waiting for them in Texas.  
Cousins 
Endless treats
More presents
No scheduled bed times


As the grownup - I knew they would be able to play better and have more fun if they were rested by the time we got there.  

As much as I wish they would "enjoy the ride" more, I wonder if God sometimes feels the same way about me.  I wonder if He too wishes I would relax and enjoy the journey.  If He wonders why I don't enjoy more of His current provisions instead of whining about how long it's taking to get to a certain point.

I think I have my own way of asking, "are we there yet" and "how much farther" and "when will we be there".  I know that I too, much like my children, am anxious about what is to come.

I'm reminded of a Psalm I read over this holiday week...

Psalm 145:15-16 (ESV)
The eyes of all look to You, and You give them their food in due season.  You open Your  hand; 
You satisfy the desire of every living thing.

How long is it going to take?  I think God's answer is much like the one I give my children.

"We'll be there when we get there."

The Lord provides for us in His due time and it definitely satisfies.  I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride a little more, knowing it's all in His hands.







I would love to get to know you better! You can find me almost every day sharing what God is teaching me personally over at my blog, Living Above Ministries. I also am totally addicted to Facebook & Twitter! So grab a cup of coffee and let's chat!

10 comments:

Joy Ellis said...

Yes, the Lord provides in due time. We have an awesome and mighty God. He knows when to slow us down, so that we can readjust our thinking. I know He did with me. Thank you for sharing this Penny!

Penny Franklin said...

What a lesson it is... sometimes I just wish I had a window into the future. But I know there are lessons for me here in "this season".

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! I'm looking forward to catching up with you more when we get home!

Janet said...

Thanks, Penny!

seedsofencouragement said...

Oh how true this is!!!! LOL I do that so often...working on it though. YOur story about your trip with your kiddos reminds me of our trip to Springfield earlier this month. LOL There were questions of are we there yet after 30 minutes...and then every 30 minutes after that. :D What a great way of looking at our journey with God. Think I need to work on this one! :D Thanks for making me think!

Hope you have a wonderful time with your family!!!! Merry Christmas! I am have a wonderful Christmas...even though I am recovering from a sinus infection, GI virus, bronchitis, and now Pink Eye too! LOL God sure has ways of slowing us down! LOL

Blessings!

Mary Joy

Kristinschell said...

Oh Penny! Have I been on that trip. Both the physical car trip and the spiritual journey. Can't wait until we all 'get there' together. In His perfect timing.

Hope you are enjoying being in Texas.

Shirley said...

Penny, thank you so much for these beautiful, and oh so timely, words of encouragement this morning. It is always hard for us, as humans, to try to do things our own way but we must always remember, our time is not His, nor His ways ours. Thank you for your words and may you continue to be so richly blessed as you continue to minister to woman through the blogging world.

Theresa said...

Great encouraging words today, Pen. It has taken me a while to get to there and I still struggle at times. Sometimes I can be so focused on the "when I feel better" that I miss out on the here and now.

Larri at Seams Inspired said...

Hey friend! Gosh, have I been there (car trip and spiritual journey) quite a few times. LOL Learning it's God's plan and not mine is a continuing lesson in my life. As a Type-A that wants to control everything, I pray I one day nail that lesson down! Great post. Hope your trip was safe and you have the best time ever with your family. :o)

hallee said...

Now that song is in my head - lol

hallee said...

I was thinking about this this morning - sans minivan full of kids. I was just thinking about how I'm impatient for something to have happened for the last 3 years, yet God constantly and consistently made people wait. Just wait and stay faithful.

Great post, as always, Penny.

Search Seeds of Faith

Our Featured Friend

Praying For Penny

Photobucket

Faithful Followers

Seeds Banners

Photobucket
iFellowship

iFellowship is a way for Women to link up their sites and connect with other Christians each week. If you're looking for some fun fellowship time, grab the iFellowship button above and join us back here every Wednesday morning!!!

"Like" Seeds of Faith

Facebook - Twitter - RSS - Email Us

facebook Twitter RSS email

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please Visit Our Wonderful Sponsors:

Spend Less and Save More
Photobucket Photobucket The Tuckers Take Tennessee
Photobucket

Seeds Site Administrators

Living Above Ministries MomKaboodle

Seeds of Faith Founded By:

the tuckers take tennessee The Homeschool Chick

Site design by Tracey

Photobucket

Prayer Requests


Bible Verse of the Day

Seeds Calendar