December 23, 2010
Practical Parenting: A Christmas Lesson
Merry Christmas!
You know, I've been a Christian all my life, and I love that we can still have these fantastic revelations and insights! That must be what it means when it is said that God's Word is living and breathing, eh?
Here are some of the lessons that I have learned recently:
Lesson 1:
A couple of years back, my pastor (who was fairly new to our church) was giving his Christmas Eve message. He has such a great way of relating the Bible that I hadn't felt in the previous pastors that I had heard.
When he talked about how Jesus looked down on the Earth with His Heavenly Father, and said "send me", it struck a chord right in my heart. All my life I heard the Christmas story - the boy child being born in the manger. I didn't realize until that moment, that that's where Jesus' story always began for me - with his birth.
But that's not really where Jesus' story began, was it? He made the choice to leave His position in Heaven to come down and live amongst us.
Lesson 2:
Have you seen the movie The Nativity Story? I watched it last year, and it wasn't anything like I had imagined. Again, my whole life, the thought of Jesus began with His wonderful birth. The people who created that movie did such an amazing job of portraying the darkness of that time, the fear that the people lived in. The birth of this boy, our Saviour, brought hope and light to that dark time, and He is still bringing light to our lives today!
Lesson 3:
My 5-year-old and I were doing our Homeschool lesson yesterday. The lesson called for a reading from "Devotions from the Children's Hour" by Kenneth Taylor. The chapter that our curriculum instructed us to read is called "How the Baby Jesus Was Different from Every Other Baby".
Mr Taylor went on to talk about how Joseph was not Jesus' father. Of course we all know this, right?
But his explanation was stirring to me - if Jesus had been born of Joseph, then he would have been born with sin. When he died on the cross, He would not have been able to die for our sins, because He would have had to die for His own.
Because He was the Son of God, He was born without sin, and THAT is the reason that He was able to die for our sins.
I'm sure many of you already hold these truths in your hearts, but I'm hoping that you will see this Christmas with fresh eyes, and an open heart.
May you and yours have a blessed and Merry Christmas!
My personal blog: MomKaboodle
Find me on Twitter: @MomKaboodle
You know, I've been a Christian all my life, and I love that we can still have these fantastic revelations and insights! That must be what it means when it is said that God's Word is living and breathing, eh?
Here are some of the lessons that I have learned recently:
Lesson 1:
A couple of years back, my pastor (who was fairly new to our church) was giving his Christmas Eve message. He has such a great way of relating the Bible that I hadn't felt in the previous pastors that I had heard.
When he talked about how Jesus looked down on the Earth with His Heavenly Father, and said "send me", it struck a chord right in my heart. All my life I heard the Christmas story - the boy child being born in the manger. I didn't realize until that moment, that that's where Jesus' story always began for me - with his birth.
But that's not really where Jesus' story began, was it? He made the choice to leave His position in Heaven to come down and live amongst us.
Lesson 2:
Have you seen the movie The Nativity Story? I watched it last year, and it wasn't anything like I had imagined. Again, my whole life, the thought of Jesus began with His wonderful birth. The people who created that movie did such an amazing job of portraying the darkness of that time, the fear that the people lived in. The birth of this boy, our Saviour, brought hope and light to that dark time, and He is still bringing light to our lives today!
Lesson 3:
My 5-year-old and I were doing our Homeschool lesson yesterday. The lesson called for a reading from "Devotions from the Children's Hour" by Kenneth Taylor. The chapter that our curriculum instructed us to read is called "How the Baby Jesus Was Different from Every Other Baby".
Mr Taylor went on to talk about how Joseph was not Jesus' father. Of course we all know this, right?
But his explanation was stirring to me - if Jesus had been born of Joseph, then he would have been born with sin. When he died on the cross, He would not have been able to die for our sins, because He would have had to die for His own.
Because He was the Son of God, He was born without sin, and THAT is the reason that He was able to die for our sins.
I'm sure many of you already hold these truths in your hearts, but I'm hoping that you will see this Christmas with fresh eyes, and an open heart.
“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given…. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6-7
May you and yours have a blessed and Merry Christmas!
My personal blog: MomKaboodle
Find me on Twitter: @MomKaboodle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search Seeds of Faith
Seeds Team Members
- STEPHANIE - MomKaboodle
- PENNY - Living Above Ministries
- AMY - Wife Hat, Mom Hat
- CHERIE - Heart & Soul Reflections
- CHERYL - See Foxes?
- CLAUDIA - For the Love of 4
- ELISABETH - Lean Green Mommy Machine
- HALLEE - Hallee the Homemaker
- JENILEE - The Goodwin Family
- JOY - My Home in the Smokies
- KRISTIN - The Schell Cafe
- SARA - Confessions of the Pastor's Wife
- SARAH - Water, Water, Everywhere
- TARA - Live Your Legacy Today
- TRACEY - Little Bitty Design Studio
Faithful Followers
Site Categories
2010
Advertise
Alicia
Amy
Cheryl
Claudia
Contact Us
Daily Life
Devotionals
Devotions
Elisabeth
Faith
Faith Filled Friday
Featured Friend
Guest Post
Hallee
Image Bearing Marriage
Joy
M.A.D. Mommies
Maggie
Meghan
Missions
Mommy Mission
Moms Like Me
Motherhood
My Father's Canvas
Our Team
Penny
Photography
Ponder This
Practical Parenting
Promises
Sami
Seeds Digest
Seeds News
Stephanie
Sue
Sunshine Sunday
Tara
Word of God
Worship
Writing Worth Reading
giveaways
iFellowship
thankful


1 comments:
Thanks for sharing these lessons Stephanie! The story of Jesus, from the beginning is truly an amazing one. Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment