December 14, 2010

Which one is your favorite?

I like the one we got in St. Lucia to remember our honeymoon.
Then there's the one we got from Pottery Barn to commemorate our 1st year of marriage.
Oh!  The Waterford cross is a beautiful one from a former employer!
I love the one we got the year our first baby was born.
The serious ones - the funny ones
The ones with pictures!
Then of course the homemade ones from our children are the absolute best!

I'm talking about the ornaments that adorn our tree.

There are as many different decorated trees as there are homes to fill them.  I have one friend who decorates according to a color theme each year.  I have another friend who has a complete tree dedicated to her college alma mater - complete with orange only lights & everything!

I love the many different personalities of decorated Christmas trees.  They tell quite the story of the owners' lives.

Last week, the ladies of our church shared our annual Ornament Exchange.  I led a devotional about the history of Christmas ornaments.  You can read about this devotional here.  Originally ornaments were fruits & nuts to symbolize the hope of Spring.  Winter was such a harsh & dark time, the people needed a reminder that hope would indeed return!

I think God knew that we would experience harsh & dark times, so He sent His Son as the ultimate "exchange" to bring us Hope to last a lifetime.

At the end of my devotional - I read a poem about Christmas Ornaments & friendship.  My wonderful husband, John Franklin wrote this for me and the ladies of our church.  I wanted to share it with you today.  When my husband is not leading our wonderful church he's writing books and penning incredible songs!


From dead things to live things and up on the tree
From apples to oranges and gum-drops we be
The trappings of Christmas through tinsel we sing
and cater the mem'ries of family and things

We journey from lands where the elves know the snow
Where candy-cane forests and workshops are old
With care we're inspired and coming to life
with shinings and glitter reflections to light.

From old country, new country, and your home we've come
Now here to be traded, where sisterhood's born.
What more could we ask for than now in your hands
To bring to you memories of love, joy, and friends.


What kind of Christmas ornaments adorn your tree?
Do they symbolize hope?







I would love to get to know you better! You can find me almost every day sharing what God is teaching me personally over at my blog, Living Above Ministries. I also am totally addicted to Facebook & Twitter! So grab a cup of coffee and let's chat!!

5 comments:

Joy Ellis said...

The majority of my ornaments my children made. My tree is special because they decorate it with their handiwork and their love. While we know that Jesus is the reason for Christmas, I love seeing the joy of my children as they come together to make our tree special. :) Loved the post and your husband's post!

Penny Franklin said...

Thanks so much Joy! My children are only 6 & 4 - so currently I have more store bought ornaments than homemade - but the kids' creations are gaining on the others. I too love my kids' ornaments. They make me smile each year they age.

My Mom still has on her tree things my sister & I made as young children. I really believe it gives the kids value to see their creations hanging up in the living room for all to see.

Have a great day my sweet friend!

Kristen Barrett said...

We have new and old ornaments on our tree. My husband and I have only been married almost 2 years, so most of our ornaments were picked out together our first year. Now we get to share our tree with our twin girls for their first Christmas. I'm lookingforward to making homemade ornaments with my girls next year. My chance to start our own tradition and make new memories with "my" family.

Penny Franklin said...

I love this!!! Congrats on your new family! I know you are cherishing this Christmas because of them.

Thanks for stopping by Seeds today!

Larri at Seams Inspired said...

Beautiful poem! We have a conglomeration of ornaments, but my favorites are the ones that belonged to my grandmother. I remember them hanging on her pretty tree, and listening to her tell the story of God's love for us and sending His son to save us. It's fitting that these ornaments are Angels. :o)

Search Seeds of Faith

Our Featured Friend

Praying For Penny

Photobucket

Faithful Followers

Seeds Banners

Photobucket
iFellowship

iFellowship is a way for Women to link up their sites and connect with other Christians each week. If you're looking for some fun fellowship time, grab the iFellowship button above and join us back here every Wednesday morning!!!

"Like" Seeds of Faith

Facebook - Twitter - RSS - Email Us

facebook Twitter RSS email

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please Visit Our Wonderful Sponsors:

Spend Less and Save More
Photobucket Photobucket The Tuckers Take Tennessee
Photobucket

Seeds Site Administrators

Living Above Ministries MomKaboodle

Seeds of Faith Founded By:

the tuckers take tennessee The Homeschool Chick

Site design by Tracey

Photobucket

Prayer Requests


Bible Verse of the Day

Seeds Calendar