January 18, 2011
Eventually... you've got to eat
Over the past 20 days, people from 3 different cities and 4 different churches and several friends and neighbors have fed me. I have experienced some AWESOME cooking lately!!!
Have you ever noticed how fast a "food list" gets developed for a family when there's a great need in their life? Whether it's a birth, a death, or a hospital visit of any kind... immediately Christian brothers and sisters are more than likely already on their way to your house with food!
It's just what we do. It's our way to show just how much we're praying and want to help in any way possible.
I never thought this was strange until 20 days ago. I watched dish after dish enter the homes I've been staying in - thankful for their love - but not hungry for one single bite. Food was the last thing on my mind. In fact, I was pretty sure if food went in - it would soon come out! Of course everyone around me kept asking, "Can I make you a plate?" As I politely said, "No thanks," they would respond with, "eventually you've got to eat."
I think I went days with only drinking water - I drank a TON of water!!!
But you know what eventually happened? Quite frankly it caught me by surprise - and I enjoyed it's return.... I woke up one morning... HUNGRY!
As I ate, I felt my strength return, I think I might have even smiled a little more that day. It was good to sit around the table with my loved ones and share a meal together.
Although I was enjoying the numbers on the scale going down in those early days of hearing about John - I welcomed even the slightest renewed health.
I thought about this and how our spiritual lives are so much like this very thing. When tragedy strikes our life so often we abandon the very thing that brings us strength and health - the Lord.
The Bible says that He is our portion. For once, in this very area, we don't have to have "portion control!" Too often we walk away from the table of the Lord. Mainly because our despair is so great and we feel we are not ready or hungry enough to receive what He has for us - teaching, wisdom, instructions, and even comfort, strength, and healing. We so identify with our grief, that we cling to it too tightly and don't receive nourishment from the Lord.
He wants desperately for us to sit at His table and taste & see that He is good.
I'm not sure where you are on your faith walk today.
If so, take it from me, "eventually... you've got to eat!" You can't continue this life without Him. The food He has to offer will bring you comfort, healing, energy and strength. I would imagine that as you feast at His table, His Word - perhaps even a smile might return too!
I would love to get to know you better! You can find me almost every day sharing what God is teaching me personally over at my blog, Living Above Ministries. I also am totally addicted to Facebook & Twitter! So grab a cup of coffee and let's chat!
Have you ever noticed how fast a "food list" gets developed for a family when there's a great need in their life? Whether it's a birth, a death, or a hospital visit of any kind... immediately Christian brothers and sisters are more than likely already on their way to your house with food!
It's just what we do. It's our way to show just how much we're praying and want to help in any way possible.
I never thought this was strange until 20 days ago. I watched dish after dish enter the homes I've been staying in - thankful for their love - but not hungry for one single bite. Food was the last thing on my mind. In fact, I was pretty sure if food went in - it would soon come out! Of course everyone around me kept asking, "Can I make you a plate?" As I politely said, "No thanks," they would respond with, "eventually you've got to eat."
I think I went days with only drinking water - I drank a TON of water!!!
But you know what eventually happened? Quite frankly it caught me by surprise - and I enjoyed it's return.... I woke up one morning... HUNGRY!
As I ate, I felt my strength return, I think I might have even smiled a little more that day. It was good to sit around the table with my loved ones and share a meal together.
Although I was enjoying the numbers on the scale going down in those early days of hearing about John - I welcomed even the slightest renewed health.
I thought about this and how our spiritual lives are so much like this very thing. When tragedy strikes our life so often we abandon the very thing that brings us strength and health - the Lord.
The Bible says that He is our portion. For once, in this very area, we don't have to have "portion control!" Too often we walk away from the table of the Lord. Mainly because our despair is so great and we feel we are not ready or hungry enough to receive what He has for us - teaching, wisdom, instructions, and even comfort, strength, and healing. We so identify with our grief, that we cling to it too tightly and don't receive nourishment from the Lord.
He wants desperately for us to sit at His table and taste & see that He is good.
Psalm 34:8 (ESV)
O, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.
I'm not sure where you are on your faith walk today.
Have you lost a lot of spiritual weight?
If so, take it from me, "eventually... you've got to eat!" You can't continue this life without Him. The food He has to offer will bring you comfort, healing, energy and strength. I would imagine that as you feast at His table, His Word - perhaps even a smile might return too!
I would love to get to know you better! You can find me almost every day sharing what God is teaching me personally over at my blog, Living Above Ministries. I also am totally addicted to Facebook & Twitter! So grab a cup of coffee and let's chat!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search Seeds of Faith
Seeds Team Members
- STEPHANIE - MomKaboodle
- PENNY - Living Above Ministries
- AMY - Wife Hat, Mom Hat
- CHERIE - Heart & Soul Reflections
- CHERYL - See Foxes?
- CLAUDIA - For the Love of 4
- ELISABETH - Lean Green Mommy Machine
- HALLEE - Hallee the Homemaker
- JENILEE - The Goodwin Family
- JOY - My Home in the Smokies
- KRISTIN - The Schell Cafe
- SARA - Confessions of the Pastor's Wife
- SARAH - Water, Water, Everywhere
- TARA - Live Your Legacy Today
- TRACEY - Little Bitty Design Studio
Faithful Followers
Site Categories
2010
Advertise
Alicia
Amy
Cheryl
Claudia
Contact Us
Daily Life
Devotionals
Devotions
Elisabeth
Faith
Faith Filled Friday
Featured Friend
Guest Post
Hallee
Image Bearing Marriage
Joy
M.A.D. Mommies
Maggie
Meghan
Missions
Mommy Mission
Moms Like Me
Motherhood
My Father's Canvas
Our Team
Penny
Photography
Ponder This
Practical Parenting
Promises
Sami
Seeds Digest
Seeds News
Stephanie
Sue
Sunshine Sunday
Tara
Word of God
Worship
Writing Worth Reading
giveaways
iFellowship
thankful



0 comments:
Post a Comment