February 1, 2011

Is life like riding a bike?

We hear the phrase, "It's like riding a bike" all the time.  Usually it refers to remembering.  No matter how long it's been since you've rode your bike, more than likely you can pick it back up with no problems.

But how many of us remember the very first day the training wheels came off?  For some reason I remember that day very clearly.  For some reason, (this part I don't remember), my training wheels were already off and the bike had spent more time on the kick stand than on the road.  We were having a garage sale and someone asked if the green bike with the banana seat (remember those!) was for sale.  Boy!  I remember this as if it was yesterday!

My Mom took one look at me and said, "I'm not sure, is it?"  I knew then, if I wanted to keep my bike, I needed to learn how to ride it without the training wheels!

Think about it for a moment.  We as grown-ups know that riding a bike will take some time and may even come with a few falls and scrapes, but it will come.  And on the other side of this life lesson will be hours and hours of fun and adventure.  Every child must go through this learning experience and we know that once they do, they will be a much more productive kid!

But think about it from the kid's perspective....
You're taking away their security!  Up to now, they've been able to hop on that bike without having to think about balance and all the other things that make you stay up on the bike.  After you take off the training wheels, they are now responsible for holding themselves up.

What is their security now?
What if things get a bit wobbly?
What if they fall?

All of these, to a child, can be very scary!  It can even make them not want to learn or experience the freedom of no training wheels.  We know as adults, if they fall and skin their knee...

they will get better
they will get back up
they will eventually learn 
they will eventually feel the wind in their hair and ride for hours

We have a grown-up perspective.  We know what the other side of training wheels looks like.  So we can confidently & compassionately guide our children through the perils of learning to ride a bike.

In the past month, I've experienced a HUGE fall.  
Everything I knew as my security got taken away from me.

Now.... am I comparing losing my husband to a skinned knee? Absolutely not!!!  However, if I think about all my life's experiences from my Heavenly Father's perspective... if I adopt a Kingdom mindset on my current trials - it at the very least might be a similar scenario.

Listen to what James says about our life:

James 4:14 (NASB)
Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow.  You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.

Did you catch that?  We're only here for just a little while!  So what seems HUGE to us, from His perspective is not huge at all.  Perhaps it's like a skinned knee.  Something He's definitely going to kiss & make better... Something He's going to comfort me through... But also something that will definitely heal.  He knows that with His help we can get back up.  And that we will learn to ride without those elements of security... if only we would adopt His perspective.


What I used to love about learning to ride a bike is how my Dad would run right beside me until he saw that I was stable.

My sweet friends... our Heavenly Father is running right beside us - ready to catch us when we fall.  He will wipe away every tear.  Then... because He's God and He's thinking from an eternal perspective, He will help us get up and learn the freedom of doing life His way and from His viewpoint!


What has been your training wheels?  Does it feel like God took them off prematurely?  That you weren't quite ready and now you're living life wobbly and always on the brink of falling?

If so, rely on Him.  Rely on His mindset - His perspective - His love.
You will get up again and feel the wind in your hair and the thrill of the adventure!







I would love to get to know you better! You can find me almost every day sharing what God is teaching me personally over at my blog, Living Above Ministries. I also am totally addicted to Facebook &  Twitter! So grab a cup of coffee and let's chat!

0 comments:

Search Seeds of Faith

Our Featured Friend

Praying For Penny

Photobucket

Faithful Followers

Seeds Banners

Photobucket
iFellowship

iFellowship is a way for Women to link up their sites and connect with other Christians each week. If you're looking for some fun fellowship time, grab the iFellowship button above and join us back here every Wednesday morning!!!

"Like" Seeds of Faith

Facebook - Twitter - RSS - Email Us

facebook Twitter RSS email

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please Visit Our Wonderful Sponsors:

Spend Less and Save More
Photobucket Photobucket The Tuckers Take Tennessee
Photobucket

Seeds Site Administrators

Living Above Ministries MomKaboodle

Seeds of Faith Founded By:

the tuckers take tennessee The Homeschool Chick

Site design by Tracey

Photobucket

Prayer Requests


Bible Verse of the Day

Seeds Calendar