August 22, 2010

Image Bearing Sex


Yes, we are going to talk about that little three letter word with a BIG meaning – “sex”!  Now, don’t be bashful ; sex is a beautiful and magnificent gift that God has given to us!  It’s a need for men AND women!  Really!  Don’t agree?  Keep reading.
Let’s take a trip back in time…


It’s your wedding day.  The ceremony and reception were beautiful, and now you go home to your new life with your husband.  The following night is usually well remembered by most married couples.  Can you remember how excited, scared, or maybe even bashful you were?  Chances are, the following hours, weeks and months, were wonderful – and sex was GREAT!  It was new and exciting, passionate and unplanned.  It was fun! 
Then life happened…
You gave birth.
Your body changed.
Your kids demanded your time.
Your husband worked long hours.
Dishes and laundry did not wash themselves.
You know…
Life.
Sex became (can become) something that does not reflect what it was supposed to be.  It can be lustful, animalistic, selfish, sacrificial, a “duty”, abusive, fantasy-filled…you name it.  People can twist what was meant to be the pinnacle of marriage, and turn it into something completely opposite.
In the beginning, God created man and woman as Image Bearers.  The culmination of His creation came, not with man, but when man was given a mate for life; a mate whom He would become one with.  This “oneness” was ultimately celebrated through sex. 
And God created a married couple.  The ultimate Image Bearer. 
Sex is the great celebration of the unity that God created man and woman to have.  It’s the ultimate gift He gave to a husband and wife.   Image Bearing sex is a celebration of oneness that God has made out of two.  It is something that is unique and powerful every time, which two Image Bearers can only experience together and celebrate together in a way that cannot be experienced by any other two Image Bearers.   In this manner, even the most intimate and beautiful displays is an act of worship.
Most of us forget what sex was meant to be.  Even the “best” advice usually renders this incredible blessing to the degradation of a duty or a tool.  How God’s heart must break for our marriage beds!
How do we reclaim our marriage beds for Christ?  How does He redeem that gift so that we may celebrate it like God intended it to be experienced?
I, yes, even I have a tough time sometimes “getting into the mood”.  I am “tired”, I didn’t “have a good day”, we just had a fight, I feel “over touched” from being with toddlers all day, etc. 
Forget all of that.  Really.
Jesus made all things new.  He gave sex for a reason, and He redeemed the two fallen creatures who have polluted it with guilt, shame, pride, selfishness, greed, ignorance, and worldly lust.
It feels like it matters, but it really does not. 
First of all pray.  Yes…pray.  Pray that God will give you the right heart and desires for your husband.  Focus on your spouse and how that person is God’s answer to your loneliness and unfulfillment.  “ God saw that man was alone and it was not good.” 
Go back to the basics and keep it simple.  Talk about what you like and what your spouse likes.  Only do what both of you are comfortable with.  Remember what it is you are celebrating - and let each other celebrate!  Say you just ended a fight and your day has not been so great.  I can honestly tell you that the best thing you can do other than forgive and repent, is to make love. 
Yes, sex can heal many wounds.   If you truly forgive and then celebrate the return to oneness that follows!  Let the past be the past and let life melt away.  Ignore everything running through your head and focus solely on your spouse. 
Remove all distractions and
just
let
go.
Feel everything.  Enjoy everything. 
Now…go celebrate your oneness!
With you for His glory,












To see more, find me at 
The Lean Green Mommy Machine.






Inspiration for this post not only came from my own struggles in this area, but also from a few writers and speakers.


If you would like to hear more along these lines, please listen to a message from Family Life Today by Bob Lepine. He was talking to a group of women at a True Woman conference about The Origins of Marriage earlier this year. Click here to hear that message. Scroll over and click on the August 9th broadcast. It’s a good one!

Also visit The Holy experience by Ann Voskamp. Click here to read a beautiful post that is sure to speak to your heart.







9 comments:

Mary Joy said...

Excellent!!!!! So true! This is such an important part of our marriages and cannot be forgotten or the connection we have with one another will slowly fall away! You really put it beautifully! Thank you!

Ann said...

Hi Elizabeth! This was such a wonderful article and so true!
Blessings!

Joy Ellis said...

great post!! Thanks for sharing!

Penny Franklin said...

I love what you said about "celebrating" - thanks for tackling the tough subjects with us here! We need to hear this message! I tried several times to read this and continued to get distracted. I was determined this morning - and I'm so glad that I did!

Keep stuff like this coming Elisabeth! You rock girl!

Larri at Seams Inspired said...

Elizabeth - Based on the lack of comments, I think you struck a nerve when you wrote this. Some may just be embarrassed by the mention of topic; however, I think it is being read. Thanks for putting it all out there and writing an excellent post. We all need to step out of our comfort zones sometimes. I'm bookmarking this post so I can re-read it when necessary. Thanks for writing it. :o)

Kkfoster35 said...

Hi! Just found your site via Top Bloggy Moms! I love it! Thanks for the reminder ...
Karen

Aytgim said...

Thank you for this. I have been struggling in this area for so long. I have definitely made improvement, but I have still been struggling. Bringing the biblical perspective in it definitely makes a difference.

Carey said...

great post and very true!!!

Tony & Elisabeth said...

Thank you ladies for all the good feedback! :-) I was a little apprehensive of posting on this subject, but thought it would be necessary. :-)

Search Seeds of Faith

Our Featured Friend

Praying For Penny

Photobucket

Faithful Followers

Seeds Banners

Photobucket
iFellowship

iFellowship is a way for Women to link up their sites and connect with other Christians each week. If you're looking for some fun fellowship time, grab the iFellowship button above and join us back here every Wednesday morning!!!

"Like" Seeds of Faith

Facebook - Twitter - RSS - Email Us

facebook Twitter RSS email

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please Visit Our Wonderful Sponsors:

Spend Less and Save More
Photobucket Photobucket The Tuckers Take Tennessee
Photobucket

Seeds Site Administrators

Living Above Ministries MomKaboodle

Seeds of Faith Founded By:

the tuckers take tennessee The Homeschool Chick

Site design by Tracey

Photobucket

Prayer Requests


Bible Verse of the Day

Seeds Calendar