October 26, 2010
Lessons from Texas
This past weekend, my husband & I traveled to Texas. We had some business to address regarding our house (yes, that we still own there). We got in late Thursday night, and took our time getting up Friday morning. We wanted to truly soak up this time here in this place we once called home. We decided early on we would eat at some of our favorite restaurants and spend time with some special friends.
Friday morning started with an old breakfast favorite - Cracker Barrel!
After our tummies were more full than we wanted... we went to the house. Did a few home repairs, let the kids play on their old treehouse, and took some final pictures of a place that held many memories.
While all of this was really nice and cathartic to our souls the best part of the trip was found in Friday night!
Our dear friends arranged a group to gather at one of our favorite Mexican Food restaurants - Los Cucos - where we laughed, high fived, caught up with each other regarding families, kids, careers, - just life in general.
It was as if we hadn't missed a beat with them. They are those "pick-up-where-you-left-off" kind of friends.
As the laughter moved across the room, so did some of our trials. We shared the highs of the past year & a half, but we also shared some of our current & past lows.
On the ride home, I realized that I was taking away from my time with my friends 3 important lessons. I thought it might be fun to share with you -
The Lessons I Learned from Texas!
Lesson #1 - Building & Planting is in my future!
As we sat around the chips & hot sauce, I asked my friend Lynette how their Landscape business was going. I loved what she said, "It's been a tough year, but it's a new season and people are really beginning to plant new things again."
Did you know that God has this exact same plan for us! Take a look at Jeremiah 31:28(ESV):
"And it shall come to pass that as I have watched over them to pluck up and break down, to overthrow, destroy and bring harm, so I will watch over them to build and to plant, declares the LORD."
I don't know near as much about planting as my friend Lynette - but I'm certainly glad that the Lord has declared that He's in the landscaping business! He wants to build and plant - after hard, tough seasons!
Lesson #2 - Don't get overwhelmed!
We moved our party from Los Cucos to our friend's house. Here we were talking about how to motivate our kids, specifically in cleaning their rooms. My friend Trina shared a secret that has worked in her home. I've even tried it on myself since we've been home and I'm happy to report.... IT'S WORKING!
She said often times kids can get overwhelmed with the vast amount of toys to pick up in the entire room. So, therefore, have them pick up only what's at their feet. Don't look at the overwhelming volume of the whole room - just look at your feet - and pick it up and put it away.
"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."
My husband often reminds me this verse says, "lamp to my feet" - not a Q-beam to my highway! So often we think we want to know and to see everything God has planned for us. When He knows it will only overwhelm us and ultimately defeat us. He gives us just enough light to see our feet - and to trust Him the rest of the way!
Lesson #3 - Faithfulness is not alway evident -
but is still very much there!
At one point, the conversation came around to "so what have you been up to these days?" I began to share things I have written on my Living Above blog as well as things I've written here - on Seeds of Faith. I assumed that they were not aware of my writings, as I don't see many comments from them.
However, in the middle of one of my descriptions, my friend Christina finishes one of my sentences. I was thrilled! Even though I couldn't "see" her thoughts on my blog - she had not only read them - but remembered them in detail!!!
God is like this with us. Our God is right & true & faithful and just because we don't always see the evidences of this - doesn't make it any less true!
Psalm 33:4 (ESV)
"For the word of the LORD is upright, and all His work is done in faithfulness."
I know I didn't have to go all the way to TEXAS to learn these lessons. But I sure am glad that I have friends like these to remind me more about my God!
Thanks so much girls! You're the best!
What about you?
What God-lessons have you learned from dear friends lately?
I would love to get to know you better! You can find me almost every day sharing what God is teaching me personally over at my blog, Living Above Ministries. I also am totally addicted to Facebook &Twitter! So grab a cup of coffee and let's chat!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Search Seeds of Faith
Seeds Team Members
- STEPHANIE - MomKaboodle
- PENNY - Living Above Ministries
- AMY - Wife Hat, Mom Hat
- CHERIE - Heart & Soul Reflections
- CHERYL - See Foxes?
- CLAUDIA - For the Love of 4
- ELISABETH - Lean Green Mommy Machine
- HALLEE - Hallee the Homemaker
- JENILEE - The Goodwin Family
- JOY - My Home in the Smokies
- KRISTIN - The Schell Cafe
- SARA - Confessions of the Pastor's Wife
- SARAH - Water, Water, Everywhere
- TARA - Live Your Legacy Today
- TRACEY - Little Bitty Design Studio
Faithful Followers
Site Categories
2010
Advertise
Alicia
Amy
Cheryl
Claudia
Contact Us
Daily Life
Devotionals
Devotions
Elisabeth
Faith
Faith Filled Friday
Featured Friend
Guest Post
Hallee
Image Bearing Marriage
Joy
M.A.D. Mommies
Maggie
Meghan
Missions
Mommy Mission
Moms Like Me
Motherhood
My Father's Canvas
Our Team
Penny
Photography
Ponder This
Practical Parenting
Promises
Sami
Seeds Digest
Seeds News
Stephanie
Sue
Sunshine Sunday
Tara
Word of God
Worship
Writing Worth Reading
giveaways
iFellowship
thankful





0 comments:
Post a Comment