October 14, 2010

Practical Parenting: A Love Like Jesus'

Jesus loves the little children,
all the children of the world.
Red and yellow, black and white,
they are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children of the world!


Remember that song? I remember singing it in Sunday School when I was growing up.

I've been thinking on Mark 10:14 lately. It's been going around and around in my mind and on my heart. I feel like I need to get it out on paper, so to speak, so forgive me if I ramble on a bit. I'm still trying to figure it out, myself.

As you may recall, some parents had brought their children to Jesus in hopes that he would bless them. The disciples scolded the parents for bothering Jesus. When Jesus found out, he became angry, and said to the disciples:

"Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children." -- Mark 10:14


You can imagine that the children were being noisy - laughing, playing, chasing one another around.

What's been bothering me lately, though, is that I wonder if I would have had the attitude of the disciples. "No, no, children. Let's not bother this nice man. He's very busy." It's caused me to stop and reflect - is my desire to teach my kids respect for boundaries hindering their chance to learn or to be blessed?
















As I'm writing this, my 5-year-old is going through the craft drawer, assembling his own maraca. Oftentimes I find myself telling him "no" when he does these things because I don't want a huge mess to occur. However, that gentle voice on my heart reminds me that he is exploring and learning. This was the case this morning, too. Right now I'm watching him, and it just amazes me how his mind works. Yes, he absolutely is learning.


The lesson I'm learning? While I know I don't have it all together just yet, here's what I'm getting out of this:
  • children are wonderful, curious beings

  • their capacity for love is amazing.

  • they BELIEVE. If you tell them something, they are going to believe it to be true.

  • NOW is the time to reach their hearts for Christ. To teach them of His love. We need to instill that knowledge in them.

  • We need to be on the lookout for opportunities for them to learn and be blessed and not hinder those opportunities.

  • We need to be more like children in our own faith and let our love for Christ pour out all over the place.

  • Jesus loves every one of us. He loves OUR children.

  • Maybe my son will be a famous scientist or inventor. Haha, had to throw that one out there!


I've got a confession to make here. I've been struggling lately being Mommy. The kids have been especially challenging, and I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed. So writing this post has actually been therapeutic for me. I need to let the love of Jesus flow into me....and then out through me and into them.


If you're feeling at all like I am, let's make Philippians 4:13 our mantra - say it with me:

"I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me."


Dear Lord,

Thank you so much for this time of "therapy". I feel refreshed. Please help this post to have helped another mommy who has been feeling overwhelmed. Bring peace to their hearts and refreshment to their souls. Please help us all to be more childlike in our faith, Lord. Help us to LOVE and BELIEVE like the children. Please also help us to bring them to You, and not to hinder them. Thank you Lord for all of your wonderful blessings. Thank you for this day, and that your grace and mercy are new today and every day. Amen.

Your sister in Christ,







Find me online:



MomKaboodle and The Helping Mommy




Connect with me on Twitter: @MomKaboodle and @sdakin105

Photo credits: 3 kids looking down - Sonya Etchison
Boy with flower - Marzanna Syncerz

2 comments:

apichea said...

Oh dear - you must be talking about me! I so struggle with this... I was just sharing with another mom last night about how I see my selfishness coming through as I seek to be a better mom. Too often I say "no" because it will inconvenience ME, not because whatever they are asking for is a bad thing. Oh that God would continue to convict my heart, softening it towards my children. Thank you for sharing - it's good to know we're not alone in our struggles!

Mary Joy said...

Thank you for this special message today! I am working on responding to my kiddos instead of reacting. God is teaching me patience as I realize more and more how patient He is with me. I am praying that He will help me see them with His eyes today. We had a rough start to the morning and I am working on turning it around. God bless you for your openness and your sharing!

Search Seeds of Faith

Our Featured Friend

Praying For Penny

Photobucket

Faithful Followers

Seeds Banners

Photobucket
iFellowship

iFellowship is a way for Women to link up their sites and connect with other Christians each week. If you're looking for some fun fellowship time, grab the iFellowship button above and join us back here every Wednesday morning!!!

"Like" Seeds of Faith

Facebook - Twitter - RSS - Email Us

facebook Twitter RSS email

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Please Visit Our Wonderful Sponsors:

Spend Less and Save More
Photobucket Photobucket The Tuckers Take Tennessee
Photobucket

Seeds Site Administrators

Living Above Ministries MomKaboodle

Seeds of Faith Founded By:

the tuckers take tennessee The Homeschool Chick

Site design by Tracey

Photobucket

Prayer Requests


Bible Verse of the Day

Seeds Calendar